Monday, June 15, 2009

Remember Shrinky Dinks?

If you are a certain age (like me) then you remember all the fun you had putting plastic shrinky dinks in the oven to make various charms, bookmarks, etc. Well, here is my recent version, with special thanks to my sister for the idea! These photos were taken with my camera phone, so the quality isn't the greatest - but you get the idea at least!


The BEFORE Photo: These images are from the retired stamp set from Stampin' Up! called Baby Firsts. I chose this stamp set because Liam is now 6 months old and I wanted to try to make charms with his "firsts" in mind. This stamp set has 8 stamps in it, but Liam has only done 4 of the 8 "firsts" so far. I'll make the rest later. I've included the actual stamp in the photo for size reference. The stamp is about 2x2 inches.


The AFTER Photo: See the difference? These are perfectly sized for little charms either on a necklace or bracelet.

Special notes: I stamped the images on shrink plastic using Classic Basic Black ink from Stampin' Up! Then, I colored the images with my Stampin' Write Markers. I then punched the images out with my 1 3/4 circle punch, 1 3/8 square punch, and scallop circle punch. Next, I punched the hole in each one using my Crop-A-Dile and attached the ring. Finally, each charm was heated using a heat emboss tool until it was finished shrinking! No more waiting for the oven!

On the back of each charm I plan to write the date that Liam accomplished each "first". I haven't decided whether to wear my charms on a necklace or bracelet, but I know this is something I will LOVE to wear.

I hope you enjoy these! They were fun and easy to make. And now I have personalized charms all about my boy!

~Elisa

No comments: